Child-Safe Window Coverings
Children are naturally drawn toward windows and window treatments. Every parent knows that basic household items can turn into safety hazards for babies, toddlers, and young children. The safety of our customers is a top priority for us at The Shutter Guy. For years, we’ve helped customers from throughout the Charleston area select safe and stylish window treatments. We offer a wide array of innovative lifting options for enhanced child and pet safety as well as especially easy operation.
From cordless manual and motorized operating systems to retractable lift cords, cord tensioners, and wand controls, since 1995, the window treatment industry has been focused on reducing the threat of injury to children posed by looped window treatments.
Convert to newer window treatments or retrofit your old ones to help ensure the safety of the young children and even pets in your home. A popular product for child safety is our Vignette® Modern Roman Shades. Constructed without rear cords, these stylish and versatile window shades offer safe operation and an aesthetically pleasing design.
As a Hunter Douglas window fashions dealer, we carry a wide variety of stylish and safe window treatments. Our extensive selection includes contemporary styles, so you’re sure to find the perfect choice for your home.
Take these steps to ensure that your window treatments are as safe as possible for children and pets:
- Replace all corded window treatments manufactured before 2001, including window blinds, corded shades and corded draperies.
- Find window coverings that include safety features such as loop control, cordless operation, wand pull, and motorization that doesn’t require cords.
- Be very aware of the window coverings in children’s bedrooms and play areas. Even with safe window coverings, move all cribs, beds, furniture, and toys that be climbed on away from windows.
- Keep all window pull cords and inner lift cords out of the reach of children. Make sure continuous-loop cords are permanently anchored to the floor or wall and keep tassel pull cords short.
- Ensure that cord stops are properly installed and adjusted to limit movement of inner lift cords.
When horizontal blinds or shades are lowered, ensure that cords are locked into position.
- Use safety features such as tensioning devices and cord cleats to improve the safety of your window treatments.
Various child-safe Hunter Douglas window fashions products:
- Country Woods® Wood Blinds
- Chalet Woods® Wood Blinds
- Vignette® Modern Roman Shades
- Provenance® Woven Wood Shades
- Pirouette® Window Shadings
- Natural Elements™ Blinds
- EverWood® Collection
- Skyline® Gliding Window Panels
- Silhouette® Window Shadings
- Duette® Honeycomb Shades
- Brilliance® Pleated Shades
- Applause® Honeycomb Shades
- Nantucket™ Window Shadings
- Modern Precious Metals® Aluminum Blinds
- Luminette® Privacy Sheers
For additional information and repair kits for older Hunter Douglas window covering products, please visit The Window Covering Safety Council website.
A Leader in Window Treatment Safety
Serving the greater Charleston, SC area, the window treatment professionals at the Shutter Guy are trained to assist you in the selection of the right treatment for YOUR windows! Our knowledgeable and experienced staff knows how to ask the right questions to ensure your new window treatments exceed your expectations. Contact us to schedule a consultation, and be sure to check out our Calling Out Cancer program to see how a percentage of your purchase with us goes toward cancer support and research.