Selecting Window Coverings With Your Pets in Mind
So many factors go into selecting your new window coverings from light control to protecting your cats and dogs. Let’s be honest with all of the factors we have to consider, it can be a complicated decision to make alone. For homeowners with pets, there are a variety of window coverings that are better than others. Hunter Douglas, the leader in innovative window fashions, believes you don’t have to sacrifice beauty for safety. In fact, they take child and pet safety very seriously when designing every aspect of their window treatments. If you have questions about what might be best for your pet, speak with a trained professional at The Shutter Guy serving the Charleston, SC Area.
Keeping your Fur Babies Comfortable and Safe
When we talk about pets in the home, it is important that our furry friends feel comfortable and safe. Pets love to see what is going on outside and will force window coverings open to so. Most pet owners keep our blinds or shades raised so our dogs or cats can see outside without damaging our window coverings. Hunter Douglas offers window treatment solutions that are stylish and pet-safe, including:
- NewStyle™ Hybrid or Palm Beach™ Polysatin Shutters – Both shutter options are durable and difficult for pets to maneuver open. Shutters can also withstand slight to medium pressure and are easily cleaned off with a dust cloth. Available in grain-like finishes, whites and off-white colors, and three slat sizes.
- Designer Roller & Screen Shades – These shades offer a sleek modern style with remarkably smooth operation, ease of lifting, and the smallest light gap in the industry. You can raise the shade to a comfortable position, so your pet can see out with ease. Your pets can sneak behind the shade without the threat of the shade falling down!s Roller and screen shades are available in hundreds of fabric choices, opacities, textures, and solids.
- Duette® Honeycomb Shades – These shades are made from a very durable fabric and are available in hundreds of colors and opacities. Add the top-down/bottom-up feature with LiteRise® cordless system, and you have the best of all worlds for you and your pet. You can lower the top, raise the bottom, or keep them in a combination of both. Honeycomb shades cover the entire window, so dogs and cats tend not to bother them.
- Vertical Solutions Vinyl Blinds – An economical solution for sliding or patio doors. If closed, your pets can nudge the slats to see outside and then they will fall back into place. The vinyl slats are also very easy to clean. Available in 3 ½” slat size in an array of patterns and colors.
- Everwood® Alternative Wood Blinds – Allows you to tilt open or closed the slats, so your pets can see out. They are easy to clean. These blinds are more durable than wood, but a large dog could still snap the slats.
Choosing the Safest Operating System
The operating system is just as important as the product itself. Hunter Douglas offers a wide selection of lifting systems to enhance child and pet safety, from wand controls and retractable lift cords to cordless and motorized. Be sure to ask a consultant the benefits of each operating system option.
Unsafe Window Treatments for your Pet
Remember to select the right product and fabric to meet your pet’s personality. No window covering is completely safe from chewing and scratching, but you can take precautions to minimize the hazards. We suggest avoiding the following window treatments:
- mini blinds
- fabric shades
- fabric verticals
- corded blinds or shades
Please visit or call the Shutter Guy to learn more about all the products that are child- and pet-safe.
Pet-Friendly Window Coverings in the Charleston, SC Area
The window treatment professionals at the Shutter Guy are trained to assist you in the selection of the right treatment for YOUR windows! Our knowledgeable and experienced staff knows how to ask the right questions to ensure your new window treatments exceed your expectations. We service Charleston, SC and surrounding areas including, Isle of Palms, Sullivan’s Island, Folly Beach, Mt Pleasant, Georgetown, Myrtle Beach, Kiawah Island, Seabrook Island, Awendah, Goose Creek, and the “Low Country.”
Contact us to schedule a consultation, and be sure to check out our Calling Out Cancer program to see how a percentage of your purchase with us goes toward cancer support and research.