Everything You Need to Know About Drapery
Custom drapery is created to your unique style-you get to choose the fabric, pattern, and type of drapery, so it’s bound to fit your décor. At Shutter Guy here in Charleston, we want to be sure you get a drapery masterpiece, so our experienced consultants will work with you to be sure your product is just right and that your look is everything you hoped it would be. Speak with one of our representatives for more info today!
If you want to get started on your drapery dream, first brush up on some of the drapery lingo below.
- Drapery or Curtain. Draperies typically fall all the way to the floor, while curtains usually vary in length. However, sometimes lined or backed curtains with a fuller and heavier feel are called “draperies.”
- Tieback. This accessory holds each drape away from the center of the window and might be bands of matching fabric, braided cords, or tassels. With tiebacks, you can add as much or as little of your own flair as you’d like.
- Break. From a design perspective, the floor is a visual break that causes a fold in a fabric. So in drapery terminology, the break is the length at which the fabric hangs past the floor. Often, our customers will choose a three-inch break.
- Puddling. Puddling refers to an amount of extra drapery length that is spilled or “puddled” onto the floor. If the drapery is opened and closed regularly, puddling will impede the functionality and won’t look good.
- Hem. A hem is any portion of the drapery fabric folded and sewn toward the back of the treatment. The most common bottom hem is three inches. Larger hems have a more high-end look.
- Inside or outside mount. You can mount drapery on the inside or outside of the window frame. Many of our customers prefer to mount drapery on the outside, because makes the windows seem bigger.
Custom Drapery in the Charleston SC Area
The window treatment professionals at the Shutter Guy are trained to assist you in the selection of the right treatment for YOUR windows! Our knowledgeable and experienced staff knows how to ask the right questions to ensure your new window treatments exceed your expectations. We service Charleston, SC and surrounding areas including, Isle of Palms, Sullivan’s Island, Folly Beach, Mt Pleasant, Georgetown, Myrtle Beach, Kiawah Island, Seabrook Island, Awendah, Goose Creek, and the “Low Country.” Contact us to schedule a consultation, and be sure to check out our Calling Out Cancer program to see how a percentage of your purchase with us goes toward cancer support and research.