Because window treatments come in such a wide variety of fabrics, it’s important to understand the differences among them. Throughout the Charleston area, people have questions about which fabrics to choose, so we here at Shutter Guy are happy to help them choose the best one for their new window coverings.
Window Treatment Function
First decide how your treatment will function. For example, will it block harmful rays? Will it filter out sunlight? Will it provide privacy? Will it lift to offer a complete view?
Hunter Douglas Rating Scale
Hunter Douglas uses a scale of 1 to 4 to rate the types of fabrics in their window treatments in terms of how they control privacy and light.
- Sheer. The transparency of the fabric allows light into the room and provides a view of the outside while reducing the glare. However, it provides no privacy. This type of fabric is perfect for living and dining rooms and can be found on window treatments such as Hunter Douglas Silhouette® Window Shadings or Hunter Douglas Luminette® Privacy Sheers.
- Semi-Sheer. This fabric is a bit less transparent. It offers a soft-screened view that diffuses light with a modicum of privacy. Treatments with this type of fabric are often used in kitchens or family rooms and can be found on such styles as Hunter Douglas Designer Roman Shades or Hunter Douglas Designer Roller Shades.
- Semi-Opaque. This fabric filters more light and blocks the view. Although it also provides more privacy, shadows can still be seen through it. Window treatments with this fabric are great for bathrooms and bedrooms and can be found on choices such as Hunter Douglas Duette® Honeycomb Shades or Pirouette® Window Shadings.
- Opaque/Room-Darkening. With this fabric, almost all light is blocked, and there is a great deal more privacy. These treatments are perfect for bedrooms, especially children’s rooms, and can be found on styles such as Hunter Douglas Custom Shutters or Hunter Douglas Pirouette® Window Shadings.
- Blackout. This fabric blocks 99% of all light and works great in bedrooms and media rooms. It can be found on treatments such as Duette® Honeycomb Shades or Hunter Douglas Provenance® Woven Woods with liner.
Sheer to Opaque Window Treatments in Charleston
Serving the greater Charleston area, the window treatment professionals at the Shutter Guy are trained to assist you in the selection of the right treatment for YOUR windows! Our knowledgeable and experienced staff knows how to ask the right questions to ensure your new window treatments exceed your expectations.
Contact us to schedule a consultation, and be sure to check out our Calling Out Cancer program to see how a percentage of your purchase with us goes toward cancer support and research.