“Infant Cord Strangulation” is real, and it’s injured or even killed too many children. With so many safety options available—including retrofitting old treatments or buying new treatments with child-safe lifting systems—there’s no need to lose another child to the issue.
Dangling cords present the danger—kids love to imitate their parents and will pretend to put on a necklace just like Mom’s or a tie just like Dad’s. If your current window treatments have dangling cords, now’s the time to make an adjustment.
Keep your kids safe by selecting cordless window treatments. To learn more about window treatment safety, check out these sites:
- American National Standards Institute
- Window Coverings Manufacturers Association
- Window Covering Safety Council
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
If you want to retrofit your current treatments, there are a few options. To order a free retrofit kit for older window treatments, contact the WCSC directly by phone at 1-800-506-4636 or by email at email@example.com. You can also use the Safe-T-Wand, one of the newest and most cost-effective lifting systems on the market today. With it, you can either use the fashion wand to encase your dangling cords, or you can use the ProLift™ system for Roman or woven wood shades. Click here to learn more about the Safe-T-Wand retrofit kits and where to buy them.
If you’re shopping for new treatments, be aware that the Window Covering Industry uses many methods to communicate the potential hazards of corded window treatments. The use of tags helps communicate the important message of child safety and the potential strangulation hazards of corded window treatments.
Hunter Douglas, the leader in child-safe products, offers many lift options. A few of the most popular are:
- Vertiglide™—this system has no lift cords or chains and is perfect for window treatments that open side to side, such as patio doors
- Wand Control—a wand controls all functions without any cords. Perfect for vertically oriented window treatments
- Clutch Lifting System—the spring clutch lifting system raises and lowers shades without any cords
- LiteRise® and SimpleLift™ Operating Systems—these systems make raising and lowering blinds and shades easier than ever before. Simply push up to raise and pull down to lower. Your blinds and shades stay right where you put them
- No lift cords for a clean, uncluttered look and improved safety.
- The design means no constant adjusting.
- Motorization—this option eliminates lift cords and provides added security
- Program PowerView™ to create the perfect room setting—morning, noon, and night
- Use the PowerView App on your tablet or smartphone to control and schedule your window treatments—even when you are not home
- PowerView Pebble Remote Control allows you to pre-set and operate up to six different window treatment groups—as a group or individually
- Plantation Shutters—these treatments are cordless by design with the use of louvers
Click here to learn more and download the Hunter Douglas Child Safety brochure.
Child Safety in Charleston, SC
Serving the greater Charleston area, the window treatment professionals at the Shutter Guy are trained to assist you in the selection of the right treatment for YOUR windows! Our knowledgeable and experienced staff knows how to ask the right questions to ensure your new window treatments exceed your expectations.